jake was extra photogenic, so below you will find an abundance of pictures of him!
so… this is only a sort of a finished object. but let’s skip that and work our way back to it, okay?
FO (almost): big bear beast <–ravelry project page
yarns: tahki yarns sedona dark olive, and brown (recently discontinued, so check your LYS, it might be on sale! the gold color is beautiful)
needles: US 8 (5 mm) for the edging, and US 9 (5.5 mm) for the bulk of the sweater
knitterly details: knit top down, arms knit flat and seamed (personally, i think these are the best seams i have made to date!), picked up stitches and knit the collar, steeked (my first!), picked up and knit button bands, sewn 2×2 grafted bind-off for all ribbing (using this here tutorial) added an afterthought pocket a la EZ. jake is extra wool sensitive, but tahki sedona is silk and merino, so he’s totally good to go. plus, really warm. i tried not to take any shortcuts in this knit, and really make this sweater to the best of my abilities.
we bought the yarn for this over labor day weekend, 2010 (i swatched for it here), and i cast on shortly afterwards. after misunderstanding the pattern, i had to rip back, which took me months and months. i hate ripping back.
i followed a piece of advice i picked up somewhere along the way: when knitting a top down garment, knit the sleeves before the torso. once they are finished, you can tuck them into the knitting, and happily go on your way for the rest of the torso. i did not know about this when making big baby june (another top-down one piece sweater), and i remember how cumbersome having to constantly turn the already-knit torso was (i should note that i also could have avoided this if i had knit those sleeves flat. but i hated seaming then, and i’m only now starting to figure it out). this all sounds a little silly when written out, but hey, that’s how it was. you want glamor, kids? you know you can count on me!
the buttons are beautiful, laquered coconut shell from lantern moon. however, i bought the entire supply that my LYS had (6), and then they apparently discontinued them. maybe this should be called the discontinued sweater, now that i think of it. i don’t like how far apart the buttons are from each other. it’s a pet peeve of mine when handmade sweaters gap between the buttons, and there just isn’t enough coverage here. hence: there are no pictures of the buttoned cardigan.
also, i picked up too many stitches for the button bands. so my plan is to pull back the button bands, and reknit them. pull off these buttons and save them for something else, and put in a zipper instead. that’s the plan. but for now, jake is happy to wear it as it is, and i need to focus my knitterly attention elsewhere.