this is the second gin and tonic i’ve knit this summer. the first one you’re seeing because i’m still hopelessly out of whack with the blog. i’d better straighten out soon, it’s starting to weigh down on me a bit.
FO: with an olive <– ravelry project page
i had a rough go knitting this hat up. it should be stated, up front and center, that it is in no way the fault of the pattern. julie’s instructions are clear and lovely. i just had to go decide to change practically everything about the way this hat was created and then not pay attention to my own alterations. #smoothmoveferguson
i wanted a really deep ribbing band on this hat, and rather than guessing at how much yarn it would take to finish the top, i decided to knit the top first. so i did a temporary crochet cast-on, and picked up 96 stitches (slightly less than originally called for) and knit the top.
when i was finished, i pulled out my temporary cast-on, picked up the stitches, and knit 1×1 ribbing as long as i could stand it, until i was nearly out of yarn. then i did a tubular sewn bind off, which makes for a beautiful knitterly finish and makes me wish i finished hats at the bottom more often. i know there’s tubular cast-ons, but i prefer the sewn bind off…
a note on this yarn: this was my first time using tanis fiber arts green label, and it is GORGEOUS. it is soft and squooshy and of course the dyeing is AMAZING. i hope the pictures do some justice to it, but man, this color is amaze-sauce, which so many beautiful tonal shifts, and hints of yellow and blue and brown to add dimension. the price tag is a little bit of a stretch for my personal budget, but i’ll definitely be coming back for more of this when i want an indulgence.